Find something interesting.
- Find a natural object like a rock, fossil, skull, or pine cone.
- Notice the surrounding where you found it.
- Be sure to write down where and when you found it.
- Think about what it is, how it grew, what it ate, or why it’s important.
- Do some research and learn more about your specimen.
- Write up a little report.
Bring it to the Collector’s Corner.
- Tell the staff about your specimen.
- Earn points for what you know.
Trade Now or Trade Later.
- Open a Collectors’ Corner account.
- We’ll keep track of your points.
- Trade with the points you earn immediately or save your points for future trade.
Collecting is contagious! Come to trade and add to your collection. Plus, learn how to preserve and display your specimens.
What can you collect and trade?You can collect and trade many natural objects from around the world: rocks, shells, pine cones, fossils, seeds, insects, clean bones and skulls (no flesh attached), or a shed snake skin.
Things you CANNOT trade at the Collector’s Corner:
- Animal mounts
- Anything from protected or endangered species.
- Any animal--dead or alive
- Anything sticky, smelly or slimy
Why not? It’s the law!Federal and state laws protect and preserve the world’s wildlife resources. Collecting can impact the population and survival of plants and animals.
Tips for Collectors:
- Take one or two and leave the rest. Don’t over-collect.
- Respect nature and private property.
- Leave things like you found them.
- Don’t collect protected items.
- Learn more about the items you collect.
- Take a small notebook to record your observations and make notes.